After His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum announced the new structure of the federal government which mandated the merger of the National Media Council and the Federal Youth Authority with the Ministry of Culture and Knowledge Development, and its renaming as the Ministry of Culture and Youth, the Ministry created a new office under the name of the Media Regulatory Office to execute a number of functions and tasks previously under the National Media Council. Media Regulatory Office includes two main departments:
- The Media Regulation Department, which is responsible for preparing research and foresight studies related to the media, formulating legislation, regulations, standards and foundations for organizing and licensing media and media activities.
- The Department of Media Licenses and Media Content Follow up, which is responsible for issuing licenses and following up on media content. It also implements legislations, regulations, and standards related to media services and media content.
Media Regulations Department:Prepare research and foresight studies and listing requirements related to media and publishing in coordination with the concerned organizational units. Study, propose and draft legislation, regulations, standards and foundations necessary for organizing and licensing media and media activities, including media and electronic publishing, and accrediting media professionals and correspondents of foreign media, including free zones, in coordination with the concerned authorities. Study, propose and draft legislations, regulations, standards and foundations necessary to follow up on media content in the country, including free zones, in coordination with the concerned authorities. Cooperate and coordinate with the concerned authorities, including the free zones, to ensure the adoption and implementation of sectoral legislations, policies and strategies in the field of media and publishing, and to monitor their activities. Propose media conduct and ethics that ensures the public's right to obtain information from its source, and combats false and misleading news and unprofessional media practices. Any other tasks related to the nature of the department's work or assigned to it by the Executive Director of the Media Regulation Office.
Licensing and Media Content Follow Up Department:
- Prepare an annual plan for developing procedures for media services related to licenses and media content permissions in accordance with the latest applicable standards in this regard and following up their implementation in coordination with the concerned organizational units.
- Conduct analytical and research studies for media services related to licenses, media content permissions and fees, and submitting the necessary recommendations in this regard to the Media Regulation Office and other concerned organizational units in the Ministry.
- Ensure the application of legislations, regulations, standards and foundations related to media services with respect to media licenses and content permissions.
- Registration and accreditation of media professionals and foreign media correspondents in the country, including the free zones.
- Apply media and advertising content regulations to local and imported publications circulating within the country.
- Supervise the development and preparation of a comprehensive database of media licenses granted, including licenses for free zones.
- Supervise the development and preparation of a comprehensive database of print, visual, audio and other publications, including free zones.
- Follow up on the media and media professionals inside the country, including the free zones, monitor violating content and take the necessary measures in accordance with the legislations and regulations in force in this regard.
- Develop periodic plans for follow-up and inspection operations for all media activities and follow them up in accordance with the procedures and controls in force in this regard
- Ensure that media activities are carried out legally and that the necessary and valid media licenses are obtained.
- Ensure obtaining permission to print and circulate information materials for publications and works of all kinds.
- Follow up on holders of licenses for media activities and ensure compliance with legal controls and standards for media content, including those practiced in free zones
- Monitor the media content of all that is printed, published and broadcast within the country, including the free zones.
- Follow up on local distribution networks for audio-visual and print media, publishing houses, printing houses, cinemas, radio and television stations and other media.
- Monitor television and radio stations and broadcasting systems for audio-visual programs in and outside the free zones.
- Implement the necessary measures in case the media licenses and media and advertising content violate the laws and regulations in the media and publishing field.
- Prepare detailed and accurate reports to document the follow-up and inspection process, including the number and type of materials seized and any other details.
- Supervise the development and preparation of a database of follow-up and inspection operations.
- Any other tasks related to the nature of the department's work or assigned to it by the Executive Director of the Media Regulation Office.
Please visit e-services site at this link.